Re: OLTC II Initial calculations

Hi Steve,

Emitter inductance is indeed a big issue.  If we have 3150 amps at 58kHz and
want only say 2 volts of gate disturbance, we can calculate the inductance:

Z x I = V

2 x pi x 58000 x L x 3150 = 2

L = 1.74nH

Yipps!!  That is not very much inductance!!  The 10 small IGBTs in parallel
have an advantage since they are in parallel dividing up the emitter lead
inductance.  Powerex is pretty good about RF issues but this is pretty
intense stuff.  I see the specs don't mention emitter inductance.  Maybe
they forgot ;-)

My Pearson 101 goes up to 50,000 amps so maybe I can test it...  I think I
have all the stuff here.  Not sure how to drive the beast...  120nF gate and
24nF Cies is not easy...  How were you thinking of driving it?

If we have say 700Vrms on the collector at 58kHz and 24nF we have:

V / Z = I

700 /  ( 1/ (2 x pi x 58000 x 24e-9 )) = 6.1 amps!!  Due to Cies

Maybe Emitter inductance is not such a big deal after all!!  It gets lost in
the reverse transfer current...  Not sure how to handle gate resistors
either...  Have to turn the gate on with a ramp instead to eliminate the
resistor...

Driving a 120nF gate at 58000Hz 20V with just a sine wave is:

20 / ( 1/ (2 x pi x 58000 x 120e-9 )) = 875mA  Probably trivial compared to
the other signals coming into the gate.  Seems like one may almost need an
LM12CLK class of driver (not sure how that would do into a capacitive
load?).  The gate drive power supply is suddenly an issue too!  No more 9V
batteries...  Maybe we just need a bigger IGBT :O))

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2528812519

The capacitances of that aren't even funny!!  200 and 40nF!!

Be careful about making the secondary too big with large numbers of turns
of thin wire on cardboard or
the secondary "Q" my have trouble like mine did.  Normally, secondary Q is
not a big deal but it can catchup to you.  My secondary loss was a very
significant power loss and it's size was much like you are thinking of.

Cheers,

         Terry