Re: Behlke.de

Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Original poster: "Stephen Conner <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>
>
> >Are there any German coilers that live near Behlke GmbH?
> >Here's their URL: http://www.behlke.de/index.htm
> >Someone here on the List mentioned them earlier.
> >snip
>    >
> >SLAC (my employer) is intensely interested in discovering
> >if there's any reality to this company. Does anyone here
> >know more about them?  -GL
>It was me! They are a small company but been in business for 15 years. It
>was probably a combination of you getting them on a busy day, and nobody
>speaking English round the place. Once they figure out you have millions
>of US Govt. dollars to spend they may well get a lot quicker at returning
>your calls :)
>P.S. I enjoyed reading about your work on the solid state klystron
>modulator. I'm getting psyched up to build a large Tesla coil using IGBT
>bricks as a spark gap replacement. However, having seen how easily you
>managed to trash those 2000A bricks, I'm not sure if my 600A units will
>get very far. The manufacturers don't give away much about package
>inductances and such like :(

A 600A brick will typically exhibit about 40 to 60nH of stray inductance.
Not a factor in TC work, really.
Do you know someone at Behlke, by chance?  Could you ask them to check
their messages?  ^_^

On a semi-related note, it appears that laser-triggered silicon can't
quite be made fast enough for TC work, even at Fo = 7kHz.  LTS has great
specs for risetimes, critical dI/dt, peak current, etc., and stacks
beautifully into HV arrays of arbitrary height... but it's 'turnoff' time
(before it can holdoff full voltage) is just too long. 800usec!