Re: Cage type secondary former

At 06:27 PM 5/12/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>My local plastics guy just says to get thin plastic (I think he said
>Lexan, but I am not sure) and bend a flat sheet over into a tube and glue
>it up.  I didn't get all the details since it was busy wildly diving into
>the free scraps bin, but he seemed to think it was a real easy thing to
>do.  I am not sure how the seem is made but this guy can glue edges that
>are invisible with solvents that "melt" the plastic edges together just
>like they were made that way.
>
>Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Exactly that... you can get nice "glue" for both polycarbonate and acrylic.

The other approach is to get very thin plastic and wrap several layers
around the form and use something like CA (or Saran Wrap?) to hold it
together until you get the wire on it.

However, might I suggest that you look at plastic trash cans.  They make
nice circular trash cans that are about the dimensions you want.  They have
no taper (think of those ashtray/sand/urn things you (used to) see in hotel
lobbies, next to elevators, etc.

Just a little browsing on Rubbermaid's web site turns up things like the
#3550 rigid liner, 12" diameter x 27 1/4" high (doesn't say if it tapers,
though)..

Consolidated plastics is large mail order retailer of these sorts of
things.. you might look at polyethylene tanks or drum liners? There are
also 22 gallon round station containers in a lovely blue that say "We
Recycle" on them..

You get the idea...