RE: 60kV 50MHz HV Divider Completed

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

I couldn't tell from your schematic what type of caps were used for the 82
pF compensation caps.  My assumption is that they are ceramic.

I once attempted to build a purely capacitive HV divider, also using
ceramic caps on the HV side.  When I attempted to scope the output of an
NST, the resulting voltage was grossly different than what the capacitive
ratio should have produced.  I mentioned this on this List, and I think it
was Bert Hickman who pointed out that ceramic dielectrics have an
unfortunate property of creating a capacitor that's voltage-dependant.

This effect may be less evident if the dominant division is achieved with
R's rather than C's, just something to keep in mind (and something that
simulation models don't account for).

BTW, your Marx generator is BEAUTIFUL!  What did you use for the gap
electrodes?  Are the support plates for the electrodes constructed so that
they are hinged and may be adjusted in unison?

Regards, Gary