Re: VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw! 240 V into the 120 V

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 07:12 15/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
>On 14 May 2003, at 23:43, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Terry Blake by way of Terry Fritz
> <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Has anyone else pumped 240 V into the 120 V winding of a pole transformer?
> > I was thinking about doing just that, but with a 14.4KV transformer.  Like
> > pump in 240 V into the 120 V to get 28.8 KV out.  Hehe.
> >
> > Terry Blake
>
>Good Luck. You'll need it. Stand well clear of the fuse box and
>switch ;)

Very funny (but true) If you pump more than the rated voltage into a power
transformer then the core just saturates and the transformer starts looking
like a short circuit. So in the few seconds before your setup incinerates,
you won't get much more than 14.4kV :( Otherwise we'd all be doing it! Of
course if you double the frequency, you can double the voltage too with no
saturation troubles. But good luck getting the power company to bring a
120Hz supply to your house :D

Of course, potential transformers are an exception, they are built with a
bit of headroom to read overvoltages accurately. The nameplate voltage is
about 57V but everyone overdrives them to 120V.

Steve C.