Re: Toroid to primary arcing

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Steve,

I ditto the suggestions to add a strike rail.  I also like the MMC ;)

You could try experimenting with ETesla 6:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip
to reduce the voltage stress around the bottom of the toroid.  ET6 outputs
a voltage and voltage stress grids that you can open in a spreadsheet
program (Excel, Quattro, etc) or some other plotting program (MathCAD, etc)
to view the areas of highest voltage stress (the areas most likely to break
out).  I little twiddling with numbers and dimensions should help decrease
the stress on the lower side of the toroid and increase it on the top
side.  A second toroid or corona ring may be helpful, too.

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group