Re: Magnetizing current in SSTCs, my previous posting

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Steve,

I am actually not driving it at either frequency. I am driving it near the
"zero" between the poles.  Using the secondary as feedback will give you
this frequency, however primary current feedback would give you a
pole    :-( . This means that the power factor is not perfect, as I had
thought, but it is close, especially at low coupling. This brings up the
problem of switching loss, now that I know it isn't perfect ZCS. The times
that the phase is furthest off is at the beginning and end, where the
current is lowest. Lower coupling just gained another advantage in my
system, but we'll have to see how the sparks react to low coupling  ;-).
Why don't you and Richie do your "thinking" up on the list?

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz "

At 23:44 14/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz "
 >

 >Hi Ken,
 >
 >You mean that the primary inductor and capacitor resonate at the same
 >freq. as the secondary, and you are driving it at resonance with a square
 >wave right? it sounds kind of like my DRSSTC, I like the idea alot! ;-))
 >
 >I will write some more tomarrow, but it is bedtime now :-)

Richie Burnett and I have been doing some thinking about this... The Tesla
coil system with tuned primary actually has _two_ resonant frequencies, one
above and one below the frequency that the primary/secondary would ring at
when separated. So which one are you driving it at?
!
Steve C.

Jimmy