Re: cockcroft-walton question

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Most machines use equal value components all the way up.

About 15 years ago I posed this question to Beau Meskin, Pres. and Chief EE
at Plastic Capacitors, Inc., in Chicago, and he told me to be sure to use
all equal values in each stage other wise you might form some type of
capacitive voltage divider and some stages would see over-voltages.

All rectifiers have to be rated for PRV not PIV as they can see as much as
2.8 x Erms.  In systems we have constructed we used 4.0 x Erms as a solid
safety factor and they have lasted in excess of 15 years and are still
running.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913

 > The usual situation is to use equal valued C and PIV, to reduce ripple,
you
 > increase C at the bottom stages of the stack,
 > so they go, e.g.
 > N*C, (N-1)*C,...3*C, 2*C, 1*C
 >
 > In any case, the PIV rating of the rectifiers is the same for all stages..
 >

 >  > Is the following a component-efficient way to implement a
Cockcroft-Walton