Re: Does anyone want an OLTC Driver board

Original poster: "Zagarus Rashkae by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <arbitrarily_random-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry
 > Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>
 >
 > At 11:43 19/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >
 > >That sounds cool! Will it drive big IGBT bricks
 > (like
 > >this one:
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/lulabs/images/big_igbt.jpg
 >
 > The circuit I intend to use has been tested with one
 > of my 600A bricks and
 > drives it with ease. See
 > http://www.scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/t4bricktest.html
 > for details. It's the same pulse generator circuit
 > that I used in the mini
 > OLTC (with the soft turn-off) but with a much
 > burlier driver stage stuck
 > onto the end. I will be doing a couple of
 > matrix-board prototypes first,
 > they are going to people that I think will give them
 > a good testing ;) and
 > if that goes OK I'll organise the boards.
 >
 > >How big choke?
 >
 > I've used 3H and 6mH chokes... Anything inbetween
 > ought to work. For a
 > brick based OLTC you probably want a pretty small
 > inductance, so nearer the
 > 6mH end :)
 >
 > Steve C.

DARN NICE! I would love to build an OLTC, I have a big
brick, and the thing that put me off was the driver
board. 30-40 bucks sounds like a great deal
considering I spent 200 bucks on my conventional TC.
THe OLTC should build for under 100 bucks.

Is it designed to sense and turn off the IGBT on the
first notch?

Chris Lu