Re: Simulation of a conventional Tesla coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi DC,

On 19 May 2003, at 22:00, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

 > These equations were originally developed for spark gap transmitters and I
 > always assumed they were analagous to a Tesla RC circuit with log decrement.
 >
 > Dr. Resonance

Terry's resistance traces tell the true story. Note how the
resistance is not a straight line but varies in a (anti) sinusoidal
fashion. He was operating with a peak gap current af about 60A I
think. I would be interested to see traces with a gap current that's
10x higher to see where the resistance bottoms out for that case. It
should be easy to arrange - just replace the 55uH with 5.5uH or so.

Malcolm
<snip>