Re: Colorado Springs Shut Down Re: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "Charles Brush by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

>>On the subject of power useage,
>>    How much was actually availabe to be used by Tesla?
>
>>I recall in one of the books I read (Man out of time perhaps?
>>It's been awhile.. ) that he managed to shut down the power
>>plant that was providing power to his Colorado Springs
>>laboratory by pulling too much from the mains.. (Or was it
>>kickback through the feed lines? I honestly can't
>>remember.. )

Kickbacks caused the failure, he had plenty of power.  He talks about it
very briefly in the CSN.  It happened while he was experimenting drawing
relatively small (three feet or so) but intense sparks off of his driver
coil directly to ground.  The lightning arresters on the power line started
arcing over and shortly thereafter the generator failed.  Like blowing a
neon but on a larger scale.  It was not nearly as dramatic as in the
quasi-fictional accounts by people like Cheney.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.VoltNet-dot-com