Potential difference vs. spark length vs. break rate

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

This is an snip from an off-list discussion that John Couture and I have
been having regarding potential difference, spark length, and break rate.

One area where there seems to be complete confusion is regarding break
rate.  The most important point to consider is that break rate and spark
length growth from an increased break rate has absolutely nothing to do
with potential.

The output potential is a fixed value and depends on the circuit components
and parameters.  Spark length can depend on a variety of parameters
including break rate and power input.  Higher power can recharge the
primary capacitor bank and deliver the ability for the system to be
operated at a higher break rate to create longer sparks.

Most important, the potential (voltage) developed is completely independent
on the break rate and power level.

A lower available power, ie, charging current rate, would mean the
capacitor would charge up to a certain voltage value in a longer period of
time.  When the cap reaches a certain value of potential, which is
determined by the spark gap setting, it fires at the same potential as a
large transformer supplying a high rate of current.

While a break rate does generate longer sparks it is not really important
with regard to the discussion of potential.

The voltage developed is usually dependent on the standard equations of the
primary voltage x the sqr Ls / Lp.

The best way to measure Tesla coil potential is to rectify the xmfr output
and then use a 10 or 20 Meg resistance in series with the sparkgap or (even
better), use an ignitron to allow precise triggering of the spark gap.  The
system is operated in a single shot mode and the spark length recorded
betweeen standard electrodes like a 1/2 inch rod gap or two spheres, ie, 10
cm or 100 cm.

The actual voltage in this single shot mode is the exact same voltage as a
unit operating at a high break rate.  This potential can be accurately
measured and recorded.  The high break rate will produce longer sparks but
the actual potential (Volts) does not increase.  It remains constant
depending on the circuit parameters.
This fact allows for easy and accurate measurement of any system.

What is missing from the Tesla coil picture is an accurate analysis of the
spark length based on break rate.  I hope to be able to do some of this
research later this summer and present a graph indicating break rate vs.
power vs. length.  I intend to use one of our standard model M-150 units to
take the measurements.  This system operates at 7.5 kVA and produces 8 ft.
long sparks.

Dr. Resonance

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation