Re: Potential difference vs. spark length vs. break rate

At 12:31 PM 5/22/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
>
>The best way to measure Tesla coil potential is to rectify the xmfr output
>and then use a 10 or 20 Meg resistance in series with the sparkgap or
>(even better), use an ignitron to allow precise triggering of the spark
>gap.  The system is operated in a single shot mode and the spark length
>recorded betweeen standard electrodes like a 1/2 inch rod gap or two
>spheres, ie, 10 cm or 100 cm.
>
>The actual voltage in this single shot mode is the exact same voltage as a
>unit operating at a high break rate.  This potential can be accurately
>measured and recorded.  The high break rate will produce longer sparks but
>the actual potential (Volts) does not increase.  It remains constant
>depending on the circuit parameters.
>This fact allows for easy and accurate measurement of any system.

This sounds good.  I can think of some reasons why the voltage might not be
the same in multiple shot vs single shot mode.  It might be useful to see
if we can come up with experiments to determine if they are something that
needs to be factored in.

1) The voltage on the primary cap, just before the spark gap fires, might
be different than in single shot mode.  A scope and a HV probe can
determine this.

2) Electrode heating in the spark gap might result in a somewhat different
gap characteristics "under load".  This should also be quantifiable, since
the voltages and currents at the gap are accessible and reasonable to
measure without perturbing the system too much.  If anything, the heating
of the gap might decrease the voltage drop, but, could also change the
timing relative to the AC supply.    Running the coil off a regulated DC
supply would be useful here, but, I don't know that I'd want to try and
build a 10 kW DC supply regulated that well.

3) Are there some dynamic effects with respect to corona losses at the top
load?  This is the tricky one, but, I think that the dominant effect will
be the one you're already measuring: spark length.