Re: Overheating MOT - dual 833A VTTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/22/03 2:40:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I'm having some problems regarding my MOT (microwave oven transformer)
>overheating with my dual 833A.  The size of the MOT is about 5" x 5" x 5" so
>its a fairly large transformer, and actually its heats up considerably even
>during lighter loading.  Do you think maybe proximity is a problem?  The
>transformer is approximately 12" away from primary and underneath by about
>6" inches on a separate level.

Dan,

If you have at least 12" spacing between the MOT and the primary,
that's plenty of distance and the primary should not cause MOT RF
heating.  Most likely it's the current draw that's heating the MOT.
My 24" spark VTTC draws 2400 watts, and the amount of MOT heating
is acceptable.  I like to keep the run times somewhat limited to
prevent MOT overheating.  I use only two MO caps, so that may be
helping to reduce the current draw.  An MOT is somewhat marginal
in this application but I selected it for compactness, low weight,
availability, cost, etc.

John