Dual 833A VTTC Success at 28" INCHES ! ! ! !

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Dual 833A VTTC in Action hitting the 28" mark!

http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/vttc01_arcs08.jpg

After another evening of finishing up my coil, adding my staccato controller
to the circuit, I managed to get some good running with the thing.  At only
80% input voltage, the VTTC performed
extremely well consistently hitting a 28" aluminum foil target.  The
streamers were very swordlike and unlike anything I've seen before with my
other coils.  The MOT problem was discovered
to be due to overpower.  Using the stacatto controller at low duty cycles,
the average power was reduced to about 2kW and the MOT was only slightly
warm.  Whats curious is that any increase
of input voltage (to the MOT) past the 80% mark (about 100V) resulted in
less swordlike streamers which were shorter, but thicker in appearance.  Any
thoughts on this?

Also, wanted to personally thank Steve Ward, John Freau, Ed Wingate, Dave
Sharpe and any others for their help with the design of this VTTC and the
Staccato Controller.  Also would like
to thank Bert Hickman and Jim Mora for providing me with some of the
important components of my design.  Thanks much!

Additional Photos and Webpage with schematic and lots of construction
photos:

View of dual 833A Coil
http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/vttc01_assembly14.jpg

VTTC in action