Re: Swordlike RF Envelope (Oscilloscope)

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 10:33 25/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>
>Just wanted to post the RF envelope from my dual 833A VTTC during extremely
>straight swordlike operations.

I just saw Richie Burnett and James Riggs demonstrating SSTCs at the UK
Teslathon. Both produced very nice sword sparks. They were running at 50pps
but if they had been staccato'd to a lower rate the results would probably
have been very similar to the pics that Steve Ward and Cap'n Corona have
shown us.

Both of these coils used a full-bridge of 15A MOSFETs running off 240V
half-rectified line. Resonant frequency around 400kHz. The peak power was
over 3kW which is similar to a dual 833A VTTC. Although they were
oscillator-based SSTCs they used a VCO circuit that makes the frequency
change in sympathy with the DC link voltage. I think there are more details
of this design on http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/

I got a couple of decent photographs of the sparks. My website will be down
for a while but pictures (either mine or someone else's) will hopefully
appear somewhere sooner or later.

Steve C.