Re: Swordlike RF Envelope (Oscilloscope)

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 22:51 25/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>

>Although SSTC's also have the "sword-like" arcs, they aren't as straight as
>the ones produced by a VTTC, although some individuals are trying to
>duplicate this on their SSTCs.
>I agree that Richie and James SSTC's do produce somewhat straight arcs, they
>aren't the typical "sword-like" streamers produced by VTTCs.  I've seen
>Richie's SSTCs in action (video)
>and unless he did something different very recently, it still the typical
>SSTC type output.

These look pretty sword-like to me. This is James's coil but it's identical
to Richie's :)

http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~cnbp111/james2.jpg

>   SSTC streamers, although straight and narrow, still have
>considerable jagged-ness to them centered about
>the straight and narrow part of the streamer.  VTTC streamers are similar,
>but that ripple jagged-ness is much much less and during a good run won't
>even be noticeable.

I think a lot of it is in the photography technique used. Richie uses
stills from a video camera that make the streamers look much fatter and
brighter. If you wired up a staccato controller to one of these SSTCs and
photographed it with Cap'n Corona's high-end digital camera (or an
old-fashioned film camera like Steve Ward uses) then it would probably look
pretty similar.

Steve C.