Re: Corona losses

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Robert,

Absolutely!  When I started coiling, I gave up on a ceramic MMC, after
watching 15KV discs vaporizing.  I then went to saltwater/tinfoil jars/jugs.
They would glow a very pretty purple in operation.  The best I could get off
a point was about 5" at 9/30.  I then took the foil off the jugs and put on
new foil and glued it down with spray adhesive.  I made sure that I kept the
foil tight to the jug as possibile.  I also put corona dope around the top
edge of the foil.  At powerup, I was suprised with 12-18" streamers with no
point.  The caps had no glow except for a 3/4" ring of corona at the top
edge of the foil.  Just the improvement of reducing corona can do a lot.

David E Weiss