RE: MOT-powered coil questions

Original poster: "Steve K by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslainnovations-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Greg,

I am currently working on a 6kva, 4 MOT coil, and am
STILL having a hard time with quenching the gap. I was
using a sucker-gap powered by a 10 amp shop vac,
supposedly able to handle 10kva, and got very
dissapointing results. Not only did I have to set the
gap very close, the brass gas jet fittings I was using
started to melt in under a minute of on/off operation.
  Next I will try a high speed rotary gap that I just
finished up today. Hopefully the tungsten will hold up
better than that brass!
.... Well anyway, I would suggest using microwave oven
caps to boost the voltage and limit the current, and
at least 4 MOTS or 2 with a doubler... I am sure
someone on this list can tell you more about it...
  If you haven't had much experience in coiling, I
would forget the MOTS and go for a few NSTs in
parallel!

  Steve Klec