Re: strength of vacuum

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Antonio and all,

I've found that some elongated lamps that are intended for scroll lamps do
indeed have a high vacuum instead of inert gas. The glass fluoresces a
brilliant yellow-green color, especially if the filament becomes
incandescent from field emission (with lots of electrons being emitted). An
old antique light bulb I have does a similar thing, only the glass
fluoresces a brilliant blue color. In either case, I could easily detect
the presence of X-rays via a Geiger counter 8 feet away. Remember that
distance is your friend (inverse square law), keep run times down, or,
preferably, don't irradiate yourself at all... :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP