RE: HV Cables

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

For general tesla coil where voltages are about 14.4kVAC from a pole
transformer or similar, high voltage cables
aren't really necessary as there is always ample room to route cables
and wires to prevent arcing to nearby objects
etc...

However, for higher voltage applications, the best high voltage wire out
there is type RCB wire made by
Rowe Industries.  Its a standard silicone type insulated wire with an
internal conductive silicone layer immediately surrounding the wire
inside.  This internal semi-conductive layer is used to equalize the
voltage gradients around the internal wire prevents corona formation
between the wire and the insulation.  Very expensive, but works
extremely well.  I have a spool of this type of wire rated at 80kV, 8
AWG!  Its 8 AWG and the jacket is about 1" in diameter.  I know a few
people at Richard Hull's commented on this wonderful wire i had in Marx
Generator charge circuit.

Dan