Re: New "MOT" power supplies??

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have the guts of a new inverter type MO:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/Temp/SSMOT/

These cant really be used for a TC supply since they are driven at several
khz.  I should have tested the 'MOT' with its normal driver but didnt and
now i wish i did before i threw the driver stuff out.  I did drive the
transformer with my half-bridge flyback driver, and at 30vdc it was making
a nasty high current spark.  I was surprised to see how small the core is
for it being used in a 1kw oven!  Ahhhh, the benefits of high frequencies ;)
Anywho, if you were to drive many of these from a giant H-bridge driver and
series the outputs, you could have your self a high frequency MOT stack.
Add some rectification and a filter capacitor and your ready for some DC
coiling... not necessarilly easy to do since you need to make a driver
capable of switching a few kW into the transformers, though chances are it
would weigh much less than the iron core version of a mot stack but the
complexity might make it a real pain to build.

Steve

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: New "MOT" power supplies??
>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:52:15 -0700
>
>Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Hello ,
>About a year ago I was reading something about getting rid of the MOT at
>Panasonic's homepage. I didn't think that it would happen this quickly.
>
>Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
>Original poster: BunnyKiller
>
>hey all...
>
>I had the opportunity to take apart a "new" microwave at work and
>discovered that it has no MOT in a real sence but a (( i guess its a PWM
supply)) solidstate power supply... no transformer...

just wondering if anyone has done any T-Coiling with any of these new style
power supplies...

the one I took apart was fried beyond repair so I didnt get a chance to
play with it..

Scot D