RE: Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Actually, I spoke with Richard Hull regarding resonant frequency of the
secondary coil and he stated the following:

(From Richard Hull)
"The resonant frequency of the secondary or the extra coil turn out to
be pretty unimportant!  The key is to make the driver secondary very
tightly coupled and have only about 100-200 turns of heavy gauge wire on
a form more or less 6-10 times the diameter of the resonator or extra
coil.  The resonator/extra coil must have a lot more inductance than the
driver or, barring that at least a natural resonant frequency of half
that of the driver secondary.  The resonator must be toploaded to beyond
apparent reason and near to insanity.  A four inch diameter extra coil
should have at least a 50"X8" toroidal terminal.  Part of the art is in
fashioning this terminal system.  Even though the terminal of most tesla
systems is a high impedance point, the magnifier must be so grossly top
loaded that the output impedance is very low.  This means an arcing Q
that is ridiculously low.  The primary is tuned for whatever makes the
largest spark.  It is important that no visible corona exist on the
transmission line.  This means a giant diameter line.  1" copper pipe
minimum.  The key is to deliver large amounts of RF current into the
extra coil's base."

Dan