Re: Magnifer vs. Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > Actually, I spoke with Richard Hull regarding resonant frequency of the
 > secondary coil and he stated the following:

I compared these comments with what the lumped theory says, and
observed something interesting:

 > The resonator/extra coil must have a lot more inductance than the
 > driver or, barring that at least a natural resonant frequency of half
 > that of the driver secondary.

This is consistent with the modes a:a+1:a+n, n>3, that result
in the secondary system being faster than the tertiary, no
need of a lumped capacitor across L2, and high rms value of
the output voltage. A 1:2 ratio is close to the optimum for several
modes.

Ex: Mode 3:4:9  => f3/f2=0.5925925926
     Mode 3:4:11 => f3/f2=0.4848484848
     Mode 4:5:12 => f3/f2=0.5208333333
     Mode 4:5:14 => f3/f2=0.4464285714

(The "modes" are the ratio of the three resonance frequencies of the
complete system.)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz