Re: BEGINNER PLANS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT PLEASE HELP

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Ravi,

First off, I would like to see you a little older, and wiser in the ways of
electricity, before you would attempt this project.  Are any of your parents
willing to work with you on this?  What is the timeframe for completion of
this project?  How much money are you willing to spend?  How much electrical
background do you have?  How big is your NST?

If it sounds like I'm trying to drive you off, I'm not!  It is nice to see
bright young minds interested in science.  But, I do not want to give a
child something that he could hurt himself with, unless he knows how to deal
with it properly and safely, or has the supervision to do so.  Remember that
ALL of the coils that we play with here can and will kill you, if given half
a chance.

Again, how big is your NST?  That way we can help you size your system
correctly.  Many of the parts that you will need won't be found at Radio
Shack.  You will have to build up most of the parts yourself.  Some of the
smallest things will end up being the most expensive, like nuts, bolts,
screws.  It's amazing how the little nickel and dime items get so expensive.
PVC pipe will work for the secondary coilform.  Beer bottles in salt water
will work for capacitors.  Carriage bolt heads or copper pipe segments will
work for spark gaps.

I hope you turn out to be another excellent young coiler.  Be safe!

David E Weiss