Re: HV Cables, Current...

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 09:14 AM 15/11/03 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: Dan <toodamtall1-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 >Hi folks,
 >
 >Is it possible to use #4 fine-strand welding cable
 >from the NSTs to the Tank circuit?

<SNIP>

 >Dan-Ft. Lauderdale

Hi Dan, Coilers,

You can use #4 welding cable, but it's overkill.  The leads from the
NSTs to the tank circuit don't need to be anywhere near that size as
they only carry less than one amp of current.  However, the wiring
of the tank circuit proper is another matter indeed, and the number
4 would be fine in that application.  The instantaneous peak current
in the tank circuit can be in the hundreds of amps, meaning that you
should use large wire and solid connections.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle