Re: tesla coil powered marx generator

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Neither.
Firstly, a 1-2MV marx generator is no trivial task - its a daunting
challenge even for the most experienced of high voltage engineers.
Simply stacking up lots and lots of stages isn't always the answer.
Typically, large 1MV+ marx generators use only 6 to 10 stages maximum.
Tesla coils are AC devices and would not work for charging a marx generator.
Also, your xray transformer will need an output rectifier stage
to provide a dc type charge current for the marx generator.

Frequencies really have nothing to do with the marx generator.

In practice, you will find many serious problems once your charge voltage
exceeds 40kV (not to mention 100kV per stage).  Corona is
a HUGE problem at this point as well as the voltage ratings of components.
A 40kV per stage marx generator will need capacitors rated at least
50kV (derated) for reliable operation.

In my opinion, your best bet is to:

1.  Learn more about marx generators.  From your original statements, it
appears you don't yet have the concept down of how these things
operate.  Search on the list or on the web and there are very informative
websites.

2.  Build a 10-stage, 20-30kV per stage marx generator to start.  You can
use readily available 30-40kV doorknob capacitors for each stage etc...

I have a 390kV marx generator (measured) i have already built which uses
30kV per stage for 13 stages.  It puts about about a 15-20 inch discharge.
You can get more details here:
http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/marxgenerator01.htm

Dan