From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 7:53 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: BEGINNER PLANS FOR SCIENCE PROJECT PLEASE HELP

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
  > Build something fun, and I think most all the
  > list members would agree that a TC is much more impressive and fun than a
  > VDG.

One of the most curious electric devices that I know is one of the
simplest and less known: Bennet's doubler:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/bennet.html

It was the first method discovered that produced electricity without
friction, and so is historically important. It's also funny to operate,
as with a simple repetition of movements you quickly (at most 20 cycles)
ends with little sparks to your fingers (with metal plates), and enough
charge to operate simple demonstration devices.

Other similar multipliers are also possible, some quite complicated to
operate, as the one of Pfaff and Svanberg (possibly better for higher
voltage output):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/pfaffsv.gif

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz