RE: SCIENCE FAIR BOTTLE CAPACITOR ExPERIMENT HELP!!!

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 05:28 PM 11/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

>   I've not heard of anyone doing any kind of actual comparison to other
> bottle brands or colors.  If the person entering the science fair is a
> minor, I wouldn't advocate using beer bottles; glass iced tea bottles
> will surely work just as well.

On the other hand, using recycled bottles, beer or otherwise, is a fine
exercise.  One could even evaluate whether there IS any difference in types
of bottles.  Actually, color might not make much difference, but scratched
or not, and glass thickness (you could weigh the empty bottles to estimate
this) might be a significant effect, particularly if you "test to
destruction!".  Such data would be quite useful to the tesla coiling
community, since this question actually comes up fairly often.

Just don't claim that you personally emptied the bottles...

Maybe you (or, more properly, a parent or teacher) could work a deal with a
local bar or restaurant to get a wide variety of bottles.