Re: Tungsten electrode wear

Original poster: G <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

>P.s. innovative ideas for securing rods that extend from both sides of a RSG
>disk would be appreciated.

Hi Steve,

The way I mounted my carbide rod to a recent disk I built:

1. Find threaded rod with sufficient diameter to allow electrode to pass
thru hole drilled axially

2. Cut rod into appropriate sections that will allow a nut on both sides of
the disk

3. Face the sections on a lathe, or file flat and to the same length

4. Drill the electrode hole through the center of the rod sections

5. Use permanent Loctite to affix one of the nuts onto each section

6. Drill and tap a hole into one of the nut faces to allow a setscrew that
will secure the rod (I drilled/tapped two adjacent faces just because I
know carbide is brittle and that allowed me to spread out the locking force)

7. Insert electrode, install setscrew, install sections into appropriately
drilled RSG disk, and align/tighten everthing

I hope this helps!

cya,
Gregory