RE: 5MV pressurised oil immersed bipolar tesla coil by Breit 1930

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 25 Nov 2003, at 13:12, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >

 > This great Tesla coil is also shown in my TC Construction Guide.
 > The unique fact about this TC as I mention in the book is that it is a
 > good example of the tremendous power conversion possibilities of the
 > TC. The instantaneous output power for this TC is about 1700 KW. This
 > is a power magnification of over 500 because the RMS input power was
 > only 3 KW.
 >
 > Click Tesla Coils at the bottom of the page and go to Diagram of
 > Connections of Tesla Transformer Fig 113. The Gap location in the
 > secondary circuit appears to be an error because it is shorting the
 > secondary output voltage V2. A Tesla coil does not work this way.

What gap in the secondary circuit? I see a ball located just inside
the tank connected to a gap outside the tank. The arrangement is
designed to measure the output voltage by the external gap being
calibrated to fire at a known voltage and the ball inside acting as
the pickup point for what is essentially a voltage divider. In the
fact the secondary as shown isn't directly connected to anything and
it appears that the apparatus as shown is useful only for finding out
how high a voltage the machine is generating given its energy input.

Malcolm
<snip>