Re: Terrified Parents

The ball is now in your court.  You have to prove to her that this is safe.

Good discipline helps.  Don't run it when anyone is watching TV.  Perhaps
limit it to garage or outdoors.  Don't do any stunts that even appear to be
dangerous --- like drawing arcs off the secondary with a hand-held rod.
You've got to show her that you won't get near it and unplug it each time
you make adjustments (she will be impressed with this especially).

Don't ever push it to full power when she is around.  50-60% makes a nice
spark and it will look harmless to a skeptical adult at 10-15 ft.  Make a
rule of always standing back 10 feet and make a big deal about this rule.
If the spark can't hit you, she sees you are making safety rules (and
following them), and enforcing these rules with your friends, you should do
ok.

Be very sure that your hobby doesn't pull your school grades down at all.
This runs up a very large red flag to adults.

Type up this safety list and make a "safety checklist" prior to each
operation.  Don't ever violate your rules when she is anywhere in the home.
One good scare for her and your project is over.

Show her your checklist and assure her no experimenter has every been killed
while adjust an unplugged TC.  Also show her your willingness to stay back
10 feet when coil is in operation.

Always run it outdoors or in a large garage.  In the tight confines of a
basement or room they look much more dangerous.  In a large room or outdoors
they look smaller and less scarry.

It's now up to you to carefully apply all this commen sense.  If the weather
is bad, don't run it indoors where again it will look scarry.

Safe coiling and have fun!

Dr. Resonance

www.resonanceresearch-dot-com