RE: Terrified Parents and Statistics

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

This is getting offtopic, so this will be my final post on this subject,
but those numbers below are really
worthless and put nothing in relative perspective compared to the safety
of tesla coils.  The reason those numbers
below are high is because the total population number of children
partaking in those activities is extremely high.
You probably have millions upon millions of children playing with fire,
tens of millions of kids playing soccer, baseball,
and football, and so forth . . .

How many teenagers are playing with tesla coils?  Probably many orders
of magnitude less than those other activities.

I'm sure if you had the number of teenagers playing with tesla coils in
the numbers that play soccer and baseball, you
will find many injuries and perhaps deaths associated with tesla coils.

 > There's plenty of information available at the CPSC.
 >      In 1998 electrocution from consumer electronics was down to 550
 > deaths. In 1988 there were 710 deaths from consumer electronics!
 >
 > Also, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission:
 > 255,000 toy related injuries treated in U.S. Hospital
 > emergency rooms each
 > year.
 >
 > 8,700 fires, 990 injuries, and 80 deaths as a result from
 > using candles in
 > the home per year.
 >
 > Over 90,000 injuries in 1999 from children using trampolines.
 >
 > Annual average of 21,000 children treated in U.S. hospital
 > emergency rooms
 > from shopping cart injuries.
 >
 > All figures available at
 > <http://www.cpsc.gov/library/data.html>http://www.cpsc.gov/lib
rary/data.html

So... statistically, Tesla coils have a better safety record than
consumer
electronics, trampolines, and candles.

<In fact, every job, hobby, sport, activity, or just
about anything worth doing carries a certain amount of
risk. Tesla coiling occupies a pretty low spot on the
risk scale, way below skateboarding, woodworking,
cycling, swimming, football, or even driving a car.>

Absolutely!!

DG