Re: first coil

Original poster: "tmoorezz" <tmoorezz-at-adelphia-dot-net>

Matt,

     I forgot to mention, if you don't have a secondary coil yet don't wind
it by hand. Wow what a pain that is and the turn our lousy. Build a simple
jig hand powered with a crank is good or if you got a helper use a power
drill, I wound my last coil took only 20 minutes with a drill powered jig
and turned out beautiful, the wire is tight no gaps between windings and I
put about 20 coats of semi gloss polyurethane and it is beautifully. A
little tip for coating ur secondary apply while still on the jig, and leave
the can open so it thickens up, it takes a while for the poly to go bad so
if you take 20 days to coat it like one a day or two a day for 10 days it
will be fine. Also never rout the wire inside the secondary and I mean
never. make an end cap from plexi glass or wood 2 pieces one that will fit
inside and one that sit on the outer edge and glue those together drill and
tap for a 1/2" threaded rod can be screwed in to it then glue another piece
of wood or plexi glass on the bottom of that so the arc wont travel down the
secondary, and do the samefor the top and bottom. This makes it really nice
and easy to fastened down a toroid to the top and the secondary to a base.

Hope this helps even more
Nolan

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/nolan/