Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

In this case, a phenolic form would be useful.  A year ago at EAA, the NASA
guys were demonstrating LN2 on flowers,  balloons and bananas.  I had a
small chunk of canvas phenolic and we dipped it in.  It didn't get brittle.
The rep told me that they use the stuff for insulating cryo lines in test
stands.  Might work for a SC coil.  The only problem might be the RF losses.
They might eat up any benefits.  I remember reading somewhere, that Tesla
did have a liquifer and did play with a liquid air coil. (pre lab fire)

David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

 > Plastic becomes very brittle even at zero degrees F.  You might crack your
 > coilform depending on its material.
 >
 > Dr. Resonance
 >
 >  >
 >  > LN2 == Milk as far as cost goes... $.50/liter... $100 gets you a big
GP45