RF question

Original poster: "chris swinson" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi all,

Slightly off topic this one but I hope it will pass..
In some very simple experimentation I did some time ago I tried to light a
simple LED from the RF field from the secondary. I did manage this with a
lot of messing about, though my question relates to plasma globes, in that
they also give a RF field and can light a LED just by holding it near the
globe. Now I have measured the frequency and that was about 40khz on the
globe, tesla secondary around 200khz or there abouts. The odd thing is
about the plasma globe is just about anything you put near it will charge
up, unlike the tesla secondary which needs to be in some form of tuning.
Does anyone have any ideas why the plasma globe is "care free" of tuning ?

Also is there anyway to increase the RF power off a Tesla coil ? I know
most want to reduce it due to loss though I find high power RF can do a lot
of cool things and I would like to concentrate on bossting the RF power and
not to long arcs. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this ?

Thanks all,
Chris