RE: variac rebuilding

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I also think that it would be near-impossible to wind a functional
variac core.  The most daunting facet is the clever way that a properly
made core has closely spaced windings on the outside, and STACKED
windings on the inside of the core.  No way to DIY, neatly, there.

I would make all attempts to clean what you have up.  I've not tried it,
but powdered graphite lock lubricant may help.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Matt Skidmore <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

Hi all, its been a LONG time since I've posted but im always reading :)

Anyway, I aquired 2 large variacs from a junk yard several months ago.
These are 0-140v at 25a and i think they were wired in serial for 240v
operation. They were pretty dirty when i got them and had been rained
on.
i cleaned them up with a toothbrush but i wasnt impressed by the wear on
the brush and the winding contacts. I have yet to test them.

regardless, the core is probably in good shape. is it possible that i
could rebuild them? I have my doubts that I could both wind and then
then
properly grind flats into the wire.

Anyway, I'm not sure what direction to take with these massive beasts.
your advice is valued.

-Fox