Re: Odd coil behavior

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/7/03 6:44:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Everybody,

My coil has been running for quite a while with no problems until
recently. I never changed anything so it's not something new that's the
problem. The coil used to run moderately consistent the entire time but now
it will run great for a while, then fizzle out and give almost nothing for
several seconds, then pick back up for a little while, etc. I would think
that this would be inefficient quenching that is causing this, but I
haven't changed the spark gap for as long as it's been on the coil. The gap
is a RQ style with a vaccum on top that draws air through slits in the
container and between the gaps. Any ideas on what's going on?

-Chris

Hi Chris,
Oxides forming on the surface of the gap faces could be a big part of the
problem. This happens even when the coil is not running, but it happens
faster of course if it does run. Really fine emery cloth (crocus cloth)
will restore the terminals.

Matt D.