Re: strange heating on spark gap

Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Laurence Davis" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>I tried to replace my vacuum cleaner for my sucker style gap.
>Thought I could use a 4" boxer type fan.  I figured that they
>aren't designed to be used under load, but the volume required
>seems to be quite low.
         Thats a huge step down in airflow.

>the test showed some positive results, but needs more work to
>be successful.
         I'd expect more airflow to be needed.

>However the problem i noticed...
>used a short wire to extend my wire to one side of the gap.
>the wire had a small 1/8" ID two turn coil in the middle. wire was 12
>gauge solid and about 6" long.  power is 12kv 60ma w/ 12nf tank cap.

>the left side wire was hot enough to burn me after a five minute run. the
>right side was nice and cool.

>So I'm guessing that the small two turn coil (1/8" ID x 2turns) was adding
>inductance that caused the wire to overheat. i.e. added resistance.

         1) That is a tiny coil, essentially 'invisible' at the
         frequencies involved.
         2) Since its reasonably pure _inductor_ even if the
         inductive reactance were noticable (its tiny), the
         reactance is not a resistance and will not turn
         current into heat.

>Does that sound like a good assumption?

         I'd look elsewhere.  Like a bad connection, more
         (incidental) heatsinking on the other side, etc.

--
         best
         dwp