Re: Terry Filter Gap Setting

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:26 AM 24/10/03 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>
 >
 >Hi All,
 >
 >I am about to start sparking again.  I just started adjusting my new Terry
 >filter safety gaps.  My question is weather approximatly 7/16" per side
 >sounds correct for a 12/120 system
<SNIP>
 >Or should I open them a tad more to stop firing completely?
 >
 >David E Weiss

Hello David, Coilers,

OUCH!  Did you really mean 7/32" and just typed 7/16" as the
spacing for each half of your safety gap?  That is WAY WAY
too big and could bring you troubles.  On my 14.4 KV, PDT
powered coil my safety gap is 9/32" total and it rarely
fires except if the main gap (a hyperbaric static type)
missfires.

To properly set your safety gap, connect it AND ONLY IT to
your power supply and adjust the gap spacing until it just
DOESN'T fire at the full power setting of your variac.
This is the correct setting, and don't be tempted to make
it larger if it seems to be firing too often.  That is a
sign of other troubles that need to be corrected such as
main gap mis-adjustment, out of tune, etc.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle