Re: Sparking off the secondary problem - author reply

Original poster: sean <sean-at-nc.rr-dot-com>

Thanks for all the help.
Something even stranger happened after I put electric tape over the
burnt marks!
It started spewing black smoke from the secondary!

I looked inside (and choked on it) and there were burn streaks on the
inside, the whole inside was black.  The pvc had been burning!  I
covered the burn marks with electrical tape again, and now it works
again.  I'm guessing I made the secondary too tall 4"/21".

I have gotten 24 inch sparks.  It also hits the fan cooling the spark
gap...

Is this good performance for a 12k/60 NST with beer bottle capacitors?

I don't have a safety gap yet, so I'm not going to run it much.  I have
heard various statements reguarding safty gaps.  Do I tune it to almost
(but not) fire when only it is connected to the transformer, or do I
tune it when everything is connected except the spark gap. Do I connect
the safty gap to the NST midpoint?  This makes sence.  If so, do I also
connect the bottom of the secondary to the NST midpoint and RF ground,
or only to the RF ground?  Thanks.

--
sean <sean-at-nc.rr-dot-com>