Re: Magnifier questions

Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com

Hi, I have used a tert/sec inductance ratio of 4-5/1,
and wrapped the entire secondary in 30 mil LDPE for a
thickness of 3/4". Then wrap the primary directly over
that for >.4K coupling that stands off 15KV pri. Good
quenching gap a must. And Yes, tune for the "Free
Resonator", but I think it is still lumped, and
remember to use vary high C for the terminal. I like
Magies because the buisness end can be put just about
anywhere.

Regards,

David Trimmell

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:22:55 -0700, "Tesla list" wrote:

 > Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath"
 > <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
 >

 > Hello Coilers,
 >
 > As a winter project I'm going to tackle building a
 > small magnifier type
 > of Tesla coil.  I have a hard time with math and
 > complex formulas, so I
 > want some "laymans" advice on a few aspects of
 > magnifier construction.
 >
 > Here's what I do know:  1) The "extra coil" can have a
 > high inductance
 > and a larger than normal top load.  2) The secondary
is
 > tightly coupled
 > to the primary, which is in the helical form rather
 > than a flat spiral.
 > 3) The secondary is not resonant, but rather works
more