Re: Grounding Question

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello Emmett,

 > Hello All,
 > I am confused on the proper grounding for my first
 > TC.

The NST cases and safety gap ground should both use AC
ground. The strike rail and the secondary coil ground
should both go to the same outdoor ground rod.

 > 3. Does it matter if the strike rail is a continuos
 > piece of copper tubing?

Yes, it matters. You want the strike rail to have a
small gap in it somewhere so that it is not a
continuous conductive ring. Otherwise, it will behave
like a shorted turn and may become quite toasty after
a few minutes. It will also steal power from your
system. A 1/2" break somewhere in the ring will do.

 > I spliced the ends together to add better support to
 > the copper tubing.

Fine, as long as the splice is non-conductive.

 > Thanks in advance to all who reply
 >
 > Emmett Secrest

Regards,

=====