Re: Source for Aluminum Spheres (up to 12" threaded)

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

If you think about the voltage gradient along the length of the coil, the
shielding or topload proximity affects the current and voltage distribution
and changes the gradient. Regardless of what process is involved (i.e.,
streamer or avalanche) in initiating breakout at the secondary (vs. the top
terminal), the voltage gradient is very much a real part of "will it
breakout on the secondary or not" scenario. The shielding of a toroidal
shape is very self evident in all of our coils.

When I've run with spheres or with toroids high above the top winding, I am
far more prone to breakout from the secondary and thus limited to the
degree of coupling, power input, etc. The toroids affect on the secondary
voltage gradient is the main advantage in my minds eye.

Just my 2 pennies,
Bart