Re: Source for Aluminum Spheres (up to 12" threaded)

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Mike,

Yes. In fact, the E-field stresses may may actually become worse due to
E-field intensification at the corner (where the dielectric (that houses
the coil and oil), the output terminal, and the surrounding air all come
together), called the "triple point". There's simply no substitute for good
E-field control to prevent initial corona breakout, since once it begins,
your insulating system's days are numbered.

A simple toroid or graded toroid stack provides superb E-field shielding,
much greater than a sphere, while also providing excellent design
flexibility with respect to capacitance, degree of shielding, and  breakout
voltage. You really don't want to make insulating HV RF more difficult than
it needs to be.

Granted, a sphere just doesn't look quite as "retro" - anyone remember Dr.
Zarkov's toys?
Also, see:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/spark-gap.jpg

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP