Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Original poster: Koen van den Berg <cerberus_rex-at-planet.nl>

Well, considering that the ad says 100 kV DC power supply, and you can
clearly see arcs jumping between the two electrodes on top, I'd say it's a
somewhat modern version of ye olde Ruhmkorff's coil (or another type of
induction coil). Another point could be the fact that this thing is clearly
portable (given the picture) and that X-Ray transformers clearly aren't :-)
And an ignition coil wouldn't easily put out that kind of discharge by
itself. Maybe with some help from a capacitor bank, or operated in TC mode,
but not by itself. My guess is that they incorporated a small (and from what
I gather from the text, variable) mains - to - DC transformer supply into
the design, which on its turn feeds into the induction coil. This brings
about a nice 100 kV spark. Downside to this approach is that such an
induction coil (to generate that kind of voltage) would probably be larger
than this one and more cumbersome. However I still think that this is the
most plausible.
But hey, just my 2 cents.

Happy Coiling,

Koen