RE: Grounding Question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

I'm going to put my 2 cents worth into this discussion because I
cannot agree with some of the opinions I've seen expressed here.

On 29 Oct 2003, at 22:06, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
 >
 > Thanks Gary,  this clears up a matter of confusion for me.  I was getting
 > worried that I was doing the wrong thing connecting my NST cases to RF
 > ground after reading some posts here about grounding the NST to mains
 > ground, but logic seemed to dictate to me that, well, if my safety gap
 > fires, then I am dicharging 15,000 volts into mains ground which could fry
 > household mains equipment.

You are not discharging 15kV into any ground - the gap actually
shorts the transformer winding. That is what it has to do if it is to
work as intended. I would always connect the transformer case to the
mains ground AND at the same time, ensure the secondary discharge
never hits the case (by providing an RF grounded screen or suchlike
for the transformer). I also take pains to ensure no primary
components are ever hit (strike ring, making the coil tall enough
etc.).

       The reason I would ground the transformer this way is to
minimize the P.D. between the core and windings. An RF ground can be
elevated considerably above the mains ground thanks to the high peak
currents present and the high reactance of the RF lead and ground at
the TC frequency but the transformer primary is referenced to the
mains ground, not the RF ground.

Malcolm