Re: straight core transformers and chokes

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: dgoodfellow-at-highstream-dot-net
 >
 > I am contemplating the construction of a straight core transformer. I read
 > an old Tesla coil how-to book from the 20's that was on microfilm in the
 > New York public library a long time ago. My hand written notes from 20
 > years ago are as follows:

An induction coil. They can be used as power supply for a Tesla coil,
specially if you want to power it from batteries. An induction coil can
be seen (or designed to work) as a Tesla coil where the input energy is
in the primary inductor instead of in the primary capacitor. Design
constraints lead to the very different structure, with a large
inductance
in the secondary coil.
The book that Terry mentions is good. Most of the same material can be
found in the Scientific American, in the issues from around 1900.
Two sites about induction coils:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/induction_coils.htm
http://freeweb.pdq-dot-net/headstrong/control.htm

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz