power supply questions

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello!

I have two questions about changes I want to make to my power
supply:

1st: I only have one variac to controll the main HV transformer.
Currently I use it in standard configuration and additional
inductive ballast to limit the current. By means of that I
experience a lack of output voltage due to the voltage drop in
the ballast / variac. Can one use the variac to controll the
current ( in series ) WITHOUT using one to controll voltage?
Would that give a voltage gain?

2nd: I thought about using DC to feed my coil by rectifying the
xformer output with a series setup of 1N4007 diodes under oil and
charge a 30nF cap for cmoothing purposes. The main C1 would be
60nF. Can this be done or has the smoothing cap to be bigger than
tha primary cap?

Any suggestions welcome

Sincerely

Christoph Bohr