Re: straight core transformers and chokes

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >
 > I agree Ed.  I think the Accel can provide a bit more current but the HEI's
 > really make nice sparks.  I like the Accel Supercoil because it is an oil
 > insulated transformer and takes abuse, overvoltage, etc, a bit better than
 > the HEI.
 >
 > Dr. Resonance
 >
 >  >
 >  > With capacitor drive I've had better luck (longer sparks) using
 >  > junkyard GMHEI's than using Accel coils.  Interestingly enough, the
 >  > Accel works better for charging the primary circuit of a TC.
 >  >
 >  > Ed

	I've never blown up the one Supercoil I have, and since I started
putting the GMHEI coils in oil I haven't had any failures, at least up
to 2-1/2" sparks.  I have a dual pair in oil which lost some of its
charm running at 6", but limps along OK at about 4-1/2".  I have a much
fancier driver than the "light dimmer & capacitor" which works but
glitches the AC line something wonderful, the latter is so easy that
everyone interested in spark coils should give it a try.

Ed